Recipe of the Day
Soup is a wonderful meal to enjoy when you’re focused on losing weight – with a few guidelines.
- Never choose soups that have a cream base. These are filled with more calories and fat than you need.
- Avoid soups that have noodles or rice.
- Make sure that your soup has a lean source of protein, such as lean turkey or chicken breast. Try the Turkey & Veggie Soup recipe below.
This soup has everything going for it. The base is broth, not cream. It doesn’t have any added carbohydrates in the form of rice or noodles. And it’s filled with lean ground turkey.
Here’s what you need…
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch of carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bunch of celery
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1.3 lbs lean ground turkey
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1 (14.5oz) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15oz) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ears of corn, kernels sliced off
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- dash of salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil. Add garlic.
- Add chopped carrots, cover for 5 minutes.
- Add onions, celery and fennel. Sauté until soft.
- In another skillet cook the ground turkey over medium heat until fully cooked, stirring often. Drain off excess fat.
- Transfer the veggies to large soup pot and add the remaining ingredients, and the cooked turkey. Cover and cook over low heat for 40 minutes. Add extra water as desired.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 119 calories, 1 fat, 336mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 15g protein.
Motivate your friends, family and co-workers! Use the Facebook and Twitter button below and share this recipe with all your friends!